ROGUE VALLEY REEFKEEPER

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

ROGUE VALLEY REEFKEEPER
ROGUE VALLEY REEFKEEPER
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bristle Worms! love them or hate them!

4 posters

Go down

Bristle Worms! love them or hate them! Empty Bristle Worms! love them or hate them!

Post by lostsurferguy Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:08 pm

On bristle worms i heard a guy in Reef Tech talking about how much he loved his lil guys.
Anyone have any and what are your thoughts?
I always thought they were bad.

lostsurferguy

Kudos : 146

Back to top Go down

Bristle Worms! love them or hate them! Empty Re: Bristle Worms! love them or hate them!

Post by SaltisLife Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:56 am

lostsurferguy wrote:On bristle worms i heard a guy in Reef Tech talking about how much he loved his lil guys.
never had any issues with these guys i have a few in my tank 40G breeder they pretty much just keep to themselves, some say theyll eat some of your smaller more delicate reef inhabitants, copes, snails, even crabs but ive never seen this, mine are about 3-4 inches long, only come out at nite, and are pretty peaceful. thanks for posting lostsurferguy
SaltisLife
SaltisLife

Kudos : 187

Back to top Go down

Bristle Worms! love them or hate them! Empty Re: Bristle Worms! love them or hate them!

Post by lostsurferguy Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:01 am

SaltisLife wrote:
lostsurferguy wrote:On bristle worms i heard a guy in Reef Tech talking about how much he loved his lil guys.
never had any issues with these guys i have a few in my tank 40G breeder they pretty much just keep to themselves, some say theyll eat some of your smaller more delicate reef inhabitants, copes, snails, even crabs but ive never seen this, mine are about 3-4 inches long, only come out at nite, and are pretty peaceful. thanks for posting lostsurferguy

Cool yea In my small tank I do not. I have some in my big tank. I have heard mixed reviews, to be honest with you. I dont mind them but I think when I rebuild my tank I will get rid of them and start fresh.

lostsurferguy

Back to top Go down

Post by SaltisLife Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:27 am

excellent, would you post some pics of your current setup for us to see?> im currently workin on a special photo's spot within the forum specifically for members tank "money" shots, eventually i would like to start a "tank of the week" competition , well see. Thanks for posting
SaltisLife
SaltisLife

Back to top Go down

Post by lostsurferguy Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:40 am

SaltisLife wrote:excellent, would you post some pics of your current setup for us to see?> im currently workin on a special photo's spot within the forum specifically for members tank "money" shots, eventually i would like to start a "tank of the week" competition , well see. Thanks for posting

Haha welll about that.. Ive been really neglecting my bowfront. Will not let you guys see it. No corals at all just live rock and fish. Have not really got anything since I moved up here a year ago. Been helping my dad and fam. He just lost his job now my GF did too so im like DOH! I have to watch what i spend!
The big tank has a yellow tang 2 blue chromis's a 6 lined wrasse 2 perk's and i think that is it.. Sandsifting star ect. Its at my dads house.. I havent been home in a month plus.
He is taking care of it.. Kinda. lol.

My small tank is less than a month old. 25 gal. have a few torch like corals. I think hammer heads or something that are about to split. Anemone and 2 true perks and a 6 lined wrasse i just got.

lostsurferguy

Back to top Go down

Post by epicenter Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 am

I have a bristle worm that is a monster, well now there is two because I tried to catch it & broke it in half. My wife laughed at me saying I am propagating my bristle worm. Now that it is broke into two I assume each side is 2 feet or more so you can understand why I hate these things. They are hungry critters when they get this big & they love leathers, zoas, & frog spawn. I would pluck every last one out if it were me. I tried the pantie hose, bottle traps, fish type traps. If any one has ideas I am all ears. I dread taking the tank down.
epicenter
epicenter

Kudos : 66

Back to top Go down

Post by lostsurferguy Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:28 am

epicenter wrote:I have a bristle worm that is a monster, well now there is two because I tried to catch it & broke it in half. My wife laughed at me saying I am propagating my bristle worm. Now that it is broke into two I assume each side is 2 feet or more so you can understand why I hate these things. They are hungry critters when they get this big & they love leathers, zoas, & frog spawn. I would pluck every last one out if it were me. I tried the pantie hose, bottle traps, fish type traps. If any one has ideas I am all ears. I dread taking the tank down.

Unfortunately, I feel your pain. Hense I do not have any Corals in that tank. I have tried it all, sad thing is I found the only thing that works is to take the tank down and bake everything.I have boiled it and a they just come back! Baking is the only option which destroy everything on the rocks. I have a bunch of new sand that does not have any in it. So I will just use that and bake the rocks in the oven. I will have to let the sand dry and re establish it in another tank after sifting thru it. MY big tank that I have had for years was fine Until I went to a random reef store and got a bubble coral, then all of a sudden bam! they were every were.

But I think my big tank has encountered a leak (last night) I am getting salt creep on the bottom edge of the tank. Its a bow front that I Had custom made in SO CAL but of course its too expensive to take it back and get it fixed so I am forced to take it down and Inspect. Who knows how the outcome will be I might need a new tank! I def need to figure out what I'm going to do with my fish for the time being.
Any idea's anyone?

I just started up that small tank less than a month ago and don't have a single worm in it..

lostsurferguy

Back to top Go down

Post by SaltisLife Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:30 am

wow what a drag, id be willing to lend some space in my tank to babysit your fish while you tear down yours, ive got a 40G breeder with plenty of room, 1 clown 1 coralbeauty, so its pretty wide open.
SaltisLife
SaltisLife

Back to top Go down

Post by lostsurferguy Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:58 am

SaltisLife wrote:wow what a drag, id be willing to lend some space in my tank to babysit your fish while you tear down yours, ive got a 40G breeder with plenty of room, 1 clown 1 coralbeauty, so its pretty wide open.
I might have to take you up on that.. I have 2 clowns, yellow tang, 6 lined wrase, and i will put both of my blue chromis in my other tank. It just will not be fair for the other fish to be put in such a small tank.

lostsurferguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabe Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:36 pm

I rarely see them in my display, and when I do they are never more than an inch. I do have hundreds in my cheto in the sump. They seem to keep the sump clean. Never have had a problem with them hurting any corals though.
Gabe
Gabe

Kudos : 43

Back to top Go down

Post by lostsurferguy Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:07 pm

Gabe wrote:I rarely see them in my display, and when I do they are never more than an inch. I do have hundreds in my cheto in the sump. They seem to keep the sump clean. Never have had a problem with them hurting any corals though.
Nice to meet ya Gabe I'm George ya that is until they get hungry. Haha

lostsurferguy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum